Areas of Specialty
SPECIALIZED COMPETENCIES OF ALBAN CONSULTANTS
Each Alban consultant brings a rich mix of theological education, congregational experience, and specialized training in human relations and organizational development. A look at our Consultant Profiles makes clear the wide-ranging personal and professional competencies of the people who play this crucial role for Alban.
Short- and Long-Term Consulting relationships
We work with you to develop the short- or long-term consulting relationship that is appropriate to you or your group and your specific needs. Alban consultants are well known and highly regarded for a number of areas of specialty representing both the ongoing and cutting-edge concerns and competencies they bring to our consulting work.
Building Momentum for Change
Strengthening congregational boards
- Clarifying board roles and responsibilities
- Facilitating board retreats
- Discerning gifts and developing leadership skills
Building an effective staff team
- Evaluating present and future staff needs for congregations and judicatories
- Clarifying roles, responsibilities and job descriptions
- Dealing with areas of conflict and tensions in your particular staff configuration
- Building and training your staff to be more effective leaders
Improving structure and governance
Assessing and planning
- Assessing current systems, program areas, values and beliefs of an organization
- Identifying and developing strategies to meet the challenges of social, cultural, demographic change
- Exploring the impact of an organization's history and its effect on shaping the current environment
- Examining the implications of a change in size—growth or decline—on an organization's life, management structure and ministry
- Developing a vision and mission statement that describes your calling from God
- Setting goals and objectives for the next three to five years
- Identifying the issues
- Helping leadership address issues and behaviors affecting your congregation or judicatory
- Reducing tension and developing an Action Plan
- Training leaders in skills for dealing with differences
- Dealing with the unique tensions in culturally diverse congregations
- Working through difficult issues of clergy or staff misconduct by providing opportunities for congregational grieving, healing and re-commitment
Dealing with Change
- Preparing leaders to deal with the natural but disruptive dynamics of change
- Helping leaders and members deal respectfully and appropriately with one another through the upheavals of change
- Identifying constructive ways to address resistance to change
Navigating transitions in clergy leadership
- Creating a healthy exit process and setting the stage for new beginnings for clergy and congregations
- Organizing a search process
- Conducting a congregational self-study
- Developing a plan for the first months of new leadership
Together the Alban consulting team forms a community of practice within the Alban Institute which relentlessly seeks to develop new knowledge and new resources of the highest quality for American congregations and the people they serve.
teachers, KEYNOTE SPEAKERS, AND WORKSHOP LEADERS
Our consultants also are essential to Alban Education; they
- Lead many of our regularly scheduled education events such as seminars and webinars.
- Provide custom-tailored educational services to congregations, denominational groups, and other gatherings of clergy or laity who are seeking a skilled teacher for a workshop or retreat designed especially for them.
- Serve as keynote speakers and group facilitators for regional and national gatherings.
For more information, please contact:
The Alban Institute
131 Elden Street
Herndon, VA 20170
Fax: (703) 964-0370