An Alban In-Depth Seminar
Strategic Planning in Congregations
April 16-18, 2013
DOUBLETREE AIRPORT HOTEL, CINCINNATI, OH
Presenter and Facilitator: Dan Hotchkiss
This event will help you to design and lead planning in your congregation. You will learn to build a planning team and choose a planning strategy that incorporates both modern organizational techniques and ancient methods of discerning God’s will in religious community.
What will you learn?
- How to assess your congregation’s life and ministry
- How to choose the “driving questions” that focus on critical matters
- How to gather congregational and community data
- How to engage leaders and members in generative conversations
- How to develop statements of purpose, mission, and vision
- How to write a powerful strategic planning document
- How to move boldly and flexibly to implement your plan
What will you get from this In-Depth Seminar?
- An outstanding learning experience led and presented by Dan Hotchkiss, leading consultant in the field of congregational planning, financial health, and governance
- All materials that you will use during the event
- Your own copy of Holy Conversations: Strategic Planning as Spiritual Practice for Congregations, by Gil Rendle and Alice Mann (Alban, 2003)
- An extensive, annotated bibliography
- Opportunities for small group conversations with your peers during the course of the event
- Initial, concrete steps for beginning an effective planning process in your own congregation
- One-half hour of private coaching from Dan during the weeks following the event – to help you re-align your efforts, get back on course, and re-energize your process
Who should attend?
- Clergy leaders serving congregations
- Lay planning chairs and team members
- Consultants and denominational officials
- Seminary faculty who teach planning
NOTE: It can be especially helpful for lay-clergy leadership teams to attend together. See the note at the bottom of this description about special team discounts and how to take advantage of them.
What else should you know?
- This event will begin with lunch on April 16 and end with lunch on April 18. Shared meals are an important part of the learning experience. Please try to arrange your travel in such a way as to be able to participate all of the shared meals.
- Scholarship assistance is available for clergy and lay leaders from small congregations. Click here for more information.
Who is the presenter/facilitator?
Alban Senior Consultant Dan Hotchkiss helps congregations move beyond frustrating and ineffective management of boards, clergy and staff. The author of Governance and Ministry: Effective Board Leadership (Alban, 2009), Hotchkiss has consulted with hundreds of churches and synagogues on a wide variety of issues, including strategic planning, financial assessment, stewardship campaign planning, and board leadership. Dan is active in consulting, teaching, and writing around the many facets of effective governance activities and their positive impact on the mission and ministry of the congregation.
Where is it being held?
The DoubleTree Cincinnati Airport is the only hotel on-property at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky (CVG) International Airport. Highway links to I-275 and I-71 connect easily to northern Kentucky, Indianapolis, and beyond. 24-hour fitness center access ensures you can tailor exercise programs to any schedule.
- Course Status: Open
- CEUs: 2
- Tuition Fees:
- Super Saver: $350, through December 31, 2012
- Early Bird: $370, January 1, 2013 through February 16, 2013
- Full Tuition: $395, if purchased February 17, or later
- Add $50 to any fee for non-member registration
- Room and Board Fee: 2 nights, 2 continental breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners, all breaks
- Single Room: $440
- Sharing Double Room: $333
- Commuter Fee (includes 2 continental breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners, all breaks): $225
Team Rebate: A rebate of 10% of tuition cost is available to those congregations who bring two or more persons to this event. Contact Tiffani Berry at 800.486.1318 Ext 247 or e-mail email@example.com for more information
or Download and mail in our registration form (PDF format)
Click Here for Scholarship Information and Application.