An Alban Learning Retreat
Clergy Well-Being: Balancing Your Ministry, Renewing Your Life
January 22-24, 2013
SIMPSONWOOD CONFERENCE AND RETREAT CENTER, NORCROSS (NEAR ATLANTA), GA
Presenter and Facilitator: Larry Peers
Are you feeling the need for more balance, renewal, and resilience in your ministry and your life? Join Larry Peers for this time away to reflect on how you might revise some of your unexamined myths about ministry approaches and practices. Using self-assessments, coaching tools and presentations, Larry will help you develop a plan for recomposing the next chapter of your ministry in order to move toward sustained well-being.
What will you learn?
- How to identify unproductive behaviors and leadership narratives
- How to use self-assessment and coaching tools to re-focus your thinking and re-align your behavior toward well-being
- How to balance the demands that create strains in your health, your ministry, and your life
What will you get from this Learning Retreat?
- An outstanding learning experience led and presented by Larry Peers, premier consultant/coach in the field of clergy leadership
- Fresh perspectives on your work, your life, and the relationship between them
- All materials you will use during the event
- An extensive, annotated bibliography
- Opportunities for small group conversations with your peers throughout the three days
- A plan for approaching your own life and ministry that is meaningful, fruitful, and sustainable
Who should attend?
- Lay ministry professionals
- Seminary faculty
- Judicatory and denominational staff and officials responsible for clergy care
What else should you know?
- This event will begin with lunch on Tuesday, January 22 and end with lunch on Thursday, January 24. Shared meals are an important part of the learning experience. Please try to arrange your travel in such a way as to be able to participate all of the shared meals.
- Scholarship assistance is available for clergy and lay leaders from small congregations. Click here for more information.
Who is the presenter/facilitator?
Larry Peers is a senior consultant, clergy coach and seminar leader with the Alban Institute, with expertise in whole systems strategic planning, congregational growth and change, clergy coaching, and conflict management. He has also served on the adjunct faculty of Hartford Seminary. An ordained minister for over twenty years, Larry has served local congregations, worked as a director of congregational growth and research for a denomination’s national office, and worked with clergy through the Lilly-funded Sustaining Pastoral Excellence Program. He has doctorates in congregational studies from Hartford Seminary and organizational change from Pepperdine University.
Where is it being held?
Simpsonwood Conference and Retreat Center is located on 230 wooded acres along the Chattahoochee River. It is just 25 miles north of Atlanta. Simpsonwood is operated by the North Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church. The site includes two miles of beautiful hiking trails, tennis courts and an outdoor swimming pool. Each guestroom features two double beds and a private bath.
- Course Status: Open
- CEUs: 2
- Tuition Fees -- Alban Members:
- Super Saver: $370, through November 25, 2012
- Early Bird: $390, November 26 through December 31, 2012
- Full Tuition: $415, if purchased January 1, 2013 or later
- Add $50 to any fee for non-members
- Room and Board Fee: Includes 2 nights, 2 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners, all breaks
- Single Room: $375
- Sharing Double Room: $275
- Commuter Fee (Includes 3 lunches, 2 dinners, all breaks): $145
or Download and mail in our registration form (PDF format)
Click Here for Scholarship Information and Application.