This event will help you to design and lead planning in your congregation. You will learn to build a planning team and choose a planning strategy that incorporates both modern organizational techniques and ancient methods of discerning God’s will in religious community.
What Will You Learn?
* How to assess your congregation’s life and ministry
* How to choose the “driving questions” that focus on critical matters
* How to gather congregational and community data
* How to engage leaders and members in generative conversations
* How to develop statements of purpose, mission, and vision
* How to write a powerful strategic planning document
* How to move boldly and flexibly to implement your plan
What Will You Take Home from this In-Depth Seminar?
* An outstanding learning experience led and presented by Dan Hotchkiss, leading consultant in the field of congregational planning, financial health, and governance
* Al materials that you will use during the event
* Your own copy of Holy Conversations: Strategic Planning as Spiritual Practice for Congregations, by Gil Rendle and Alice Mann (Alban, 2003)
* An extensive annotated bibliography
* Opportunities for small group conversations with your peers during the course of the event
* Initial, concrete steps for beginning an effective planning process in your own congregation.
* One-half hour of private coaching from Dan during the weeks following the event – to help you re-align your efforts, get back on course, and re-energize your process.
Who Should Attend?
* Clergy leaders serving congregations
* Lay planning chairs and team members
* Consultants and denominational officials
* Seminary faculty who teach planning
NOTE: It can be especially helpful for lay-clergy leadership teams to attend together. See the note at the bottom of this description about special team discounts and how to take advantage of them.
What Else Should You Know?
* This event will begin with (insert beginning and ending when dates are finalized). Shared meals are an important part of the learning experience. Please try to arrange your travel in such a way as to be able to participate all of the shared meals.
* Scholarship assistance is available for clergy and lay leaders from small congregations. Click here for more information.
Who Is the Leader?
Alban Senior Consultant Dan Hotchkiss helps congregations move beyond frustrating and ineffective management of boards, clergy and staff. The author of Governance and Ministry: Effective Board Leadership (Alban, 2009), Hotchkiss has
consulted with hundreds of churches and synagogues on a wide variety of issues, including strategic planning, financial assessment, stewardship campaign planning, and board leadership. Dan is active in consulting, teaching, and writing around the many facets of effective governance activities and their positive impact on the mission and ministry of the congregation.