Click here to view a movie clip of Dan Hotchkiss talking about his work on Governance. (Runtime: 05:05)
Take a "spring break" at beautiful Simpsonwood Conference and Retreat Center, located on 230 wooded acres along the Chattahoochee River just 25 miles north of Atlanta, to explore in depth with Alban senior consultant Dan Hotchkiss his widely acclaimed approach to clarifying the responsibilities of congregational governing boards, committees, clergy, and program leaders, paid and unpaid.
Learn how your own congregation can organize for effective, life-transforming ministry.
Good governance starts with clearly defined roles and authority; it succeeds when lay and professional leaders conduct ministry together as collaborating partners.
- How much time does your board or committee spend managing programs?
- How much time do your program leaders (paid and volunteer) spend seeking approval for choices they could be trusted to make on their own?
True partnership begins with clear role boundaries, effective delegation and a constructive system of accountability. Hotchkiss helps participants to sharpen leadership skills, improve a governing structure or replace it with an entirely new model.
Dan offers practical, tested ways to break free of habitual, non-functioning modes of congregational life. Topics to be covered include:
- Clearly defining the roles and authority of boards and clergy
- Setting clear and helpful policies
- Planning meetings people want to attend
- Soliciting input and discussion, then making decisions that stick
- Creating a covenant of expectations for board members
- Making space for discernment, reflection, and encounters with the Holy
Each seminar participant will receive a copy of Dan's best-selling Alban book, Governance and Ministry: Rethinking Board Leadership. [read a review]
"An excellent orientation ... based on ample experience in the field“ for congregations "struggling to rethink and reorganize their governance and board structures." --Christian Century
The seminar is scheduled to begin with lunch at oon on April 5th and end with lunch on April 7th.
About Dan Hotchkiss
Dan Hotchkiss helps congregations move beyond frustrating and ineffective management of boards, clergy and staff. The author of Governance and Ministry, Hotchkiss has consulted with hundreds of churches and synagogues on a wide variety of issues. He is a consultant with the Alban Institute and is currently focusing his writing, teaching and consulting in the areas of planning, governance, and coaching for leaders.