Inside the Large Congregation
October 30 - November 1, 2012
Franciscan Renewal Center, Scottsdale, AZ
Presenter and Facilitator: Susan Beaumont
Successful leadership in a small-to-midsized congregation is not enough to prepare a leader for ministry in a large church setting. Overseeing the work or a large congregation can be complex and disorienting without understanding the unique nature of pastoral, staff, and board relationships in the larger setting. This event explores the dynamics of churches with an average weekend worship of 400 or more.
What Will You Learn?
- The challenge of alignment and complexity in the large church
- Size transitions and attendance boundaries on the other side of “large”
- The pastor’s role and how to resolve role confusion
- Staff team structures and staff team design
- Board roles and supporting governance structures
- Growth and assimilation challenges
- Strategic decision-making and the artful use of vision
What will you get from this seminar?
- An outstanding learning experience led and facilitated by Susan Beaumont, premier thinker, writer, and consultant in the area of large congregations
- All materials you will use during the event
- An individual, personalized Life-Styles Leadership Inventory © to help you reflect on your leadership within the context of your large congregation
- Your own copy of Susan’s book Inside the Large Congregation (Alban, 2011)
- An extensive , annotated bibliography
- Opportunities for private and small group conversations with the presenter and your peers throughout the three days
- Knowledge, tools and skills for effective leadership in your large congregation
Who should attend?
- Senior Pastors, Heads of Staff, Executive or Administrative Pastors in large congregations
- Key lay leaders in large congregations
- Pastors planning a move into a large congregation in the near future
- Denominational and judicatory staff with responsibilities for clergy assignment and support
What else should you know?
- This event will begin with lunch on Tuesday, October 30, and conclude with lunch on Thursday, November 1. Shared meals are an important part of the learning experience. Please try to arrange your travel in such a way as to be able to participate in these opening and closing meals.
- We will distribute a list of participants and contact information to attendees about three weeks prior to the event so that participants can make arrangements among themselves about options for sharing transportation.
- Scholarship assistance is avaiable for clergy and lay leaders from small congregations. Click here for more information.
Who is the presenter/facilitator?
Prior to joining the Alban Institute, Susan Beaumont spent ten years consulting with congregations, nonprofit organizations, and corporate clients. Her specialties include change management, leadership development, and conflict management. Susan has taught graduate and undergraduate classes in leadership, communication, and organizational behavior. She is an ordained minister in the American Baptist Churches, USA.
Where is it being held?
The Franciscan Renewal Center is located on 25 acres in scenic Paradise Valley between landmark Camelback and Mummy Mountains -- just 20 minutes from the Phoenix Sky Harbour Airport, visit their website.
- Course Status: Open
- CEUs: 2
- Tuition: $475 ($525 for nonmembers)
- Lodging & Meals: 3 days, 2 nights
- Single: $285
- Double: $215
- Meals Only: $125
Download and mail in our registration form (PDF format)
Click Here for Scholarship Information and Application