Strategic Planning in Congregations
Holy Family Passionist Retreat Center, West Hartford, Connecticut
This event will help you to design and lead planning in your congregation. You will learn to build a planning team and choose a planning strategy that incorporates both modern organizational techniques and ancient methods of discerning God’s will in religious community.
What Will You Learn?
- How to assess your congregation’s life and ministry
- How to choose “driving questions” that focus on critical matters
- How to gather congregational and community data
- How to engage leaders and members in generative conversation
- How to develop statements of purpose, mission, and vision
- How to write a powerful strategic planning document
- How to move boldly and flexibly to implement your plan
What will you get from this seminar?
- An outstanding learning experience led and presented by Dan Hotchkiss, premier consultant in the field of congregational planning, financial health, and governance
- All materials you will use during the event
- Your own copy of Holy Conversations: Strategic Planning as Spiritual Practice for Congregations, by Gil Rendle and Alice Mann (Alban, 2003)
- An extensive, annotated bibliography
- Opportunities for private and small group conversations with the presenter and your peers throughout the three days
- Initial, concrete steps for beginning an effective planning process in your own congregation
- One-half hour of private coaching from Dan during the weeks following the event– to help you re-align your efforts, get back on course, and re-energize your process.
Who should attend?
- Clergy leaders serving congregations
- Lay planning chairs and team members
- Consultants and denominational officials
- Seminary faculty who teach planning
NOTE: It can be especially helpful for lay-clergy leadership teams to attend together.
What else should you know?
- This event will begin with lunch on Tuesday, September 11, and conclude with lunch on Thursday, September 13. Shared meals are an important part of the learning experience. Please try to arrange your travel in such a way as to be able to participate in these opening and closing meals.
- We will distribute a list of participants and contact information to attendees about three weeks prior to the event so that participants can make arrangements among themselves about options for sharing transportation.
- Scholarship assistance is available for clergy and lay leaders from small congregations. Click here for more information.
Who is the presenter/facilitator?
Dan Hotchkiss helps congregations move beyond frustrating and ineffective management of boards, clergy and staff. The author of Governance and Ministry, Hotchkiss has consulted with hundreds of churches and synagogues on a wide variety of issues. He is a consultant with the Alban Institute and is currently focusing his writing, teaching and consulting in the areas of planning, governance, and coaching for leaders.
Where is it being held?
Connecticut's Holy Family Passionist Retreat Center is known throughout the northeast for its tranquil setting and gracious hospitality while being conveniently located just a 30-minute drive from Bradley International Airport. Visit their website.
Mail-in Registration Form (PDF format)
Course Status: Open
($585.00 for nonmembers)
Lodging & Meals:
(3 days, 2 nights)
Meals Only: $142.00
Early-Bird Discount: $35.00
Early-Bird Cut-Off Date: