Governance & Ministry: Leading Your Congregation Through Governance Change
Techny Towers Conference and Retreat Center, Techny, Illinois
Good governance begins with clear roles and authority; it succeeds when lay and professional leaders do ministry together as collaborating partners. Learn from Dan how to build boards that delegate effectively, demand high performance, require sound stewardship, and reflect continually on mission and purpose—at board meetings and in wider gatherings.
What Will You Learn?
- A deeper understanding of the Governance and Ministry approach
- Insight into differences between congregations (size, faith tradition, customs) and how those can be honored while reshaping governance
- Workshop and group event designs to help congregations create and test new ways of decision making
- Consulting skills and practices for the governance-change process
What will you get from this seminar?
- An outstanding learning experience led and presented by Dan Hotchkiss, premier consultant in the field of congregational governance, board development, planning, and financial health
- All materials you will use during the event
- Your own copy of Dan best-selling book Governance and Ministry: Rethinking Board Leadership (Alban, 2009)
- An extensive, annotated bibliography
- Opportunities for private and small group conversations with the presenter and your peers throughout the three days
- Knowledge, skills, and concrete tools to begin leading mission-based change of governance in your own congregation
- One-half hour of follow up coaching from Dan in the weeks following the event – to help you re-align and re-energize your efforts
Who should attend?
- Clergy, and lay leaders ready to transform the way their congregations make decisions
- Potential members of governance task forces or bylaws revision committees
- Consultants, trainers, denominational executives, who want to sharpen governance consulting skills
NOTE: It can be especially helpful for lay-clergy leadership teams to attend together.
What else should you know?
- This event will begin with lunch on Tuesday, October 9, and conclude with lunch on Thursday, October 11. Shared meals are an important part of the learning experience. Please try to arrange your travel in such a way as to be able to participate in these opening and closing meals.
- We will distribute a list of participants and contact information to attendees about three weeks prior to the event so that participants can make arrangements among themselves about options for sharing transportation.
- Scholarship assistance is available for clergy and lay leaders from small congregations. Click here for more information.
Who is the presenter/facilitator?
Dan Hotchkiss helps congregations move beyond frustrating and ineffective management of boards, clergy and staff. The author of Governance and Ministry, Hotchkiss has consulted with hundreds of churches and synagogues on a wide variety of issues. He is a consultant with the Alban Institute and is currently focusing his writing, teaching and consulting in the areas of planning, governance, and coaching for leaders.
Where is it being held?
Techny Towers is a prominent landmark that was originally established as a seminary for the Society of the Divine Word. It now serves as an ecumenical center, visit their website here.
Mail-in Registration Form (PDF format)
Course Status: Open
($595.00 for nonmembers)
Lodging & Meals:
(3 days, 2 nights)
Meals Only: $85.00
Early-Bird Discount: $35.00
Early-Bird Cut-Off Date: